Monday 1 September 2008

Mike's Best of Europe: Food and Drink

We've seen and experienced a lot in our time in Europe, and now I can look back and make my picks of the best of them.

Best Beer: Belgium. I've had a good sampling of British and Scottish beer, though I wish I'd done some research and exploring in Munich - I'm sure there were plenty of great varieties right under my nose. (For a while, two work mates and I were talking about going to Oktoberfest - that would have been great.) But the styles that appeal to me most - malty, sweet, dark, strong - are well represented in Belgium. Give me a duvel or tripel any time and you will have a happy man. Our Christmas in Brugges was overwhelming with tasty choices and I wish I'd taken more notes. And I've enjoyed many a bottle of Leffe whilst in the UK.

Best Wine: Italy. I guess the only real competition in Europe would be France, but I don't much enjoy the Bordeaux style - it's complex but not my taste. No, I've much more enjoyed deep, dark, juicy Italian reds. I just love saying the names: Montepulciano. Valpolicella. Negroamaro. Brunello di Montalcino.

Best Coffee: Well, I can't name one country. I'd be content with a cuppa anywhere in France, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, or Scandinavia. Dark, strong and fresh, in their unique way.

Best Meal: Palle d'Oro, Florence. It's no coincidence this was our first dinner in Italy. I suspect that if I went back I might find it unexceptional. But even though we were full of the joy of just being at a traditional Italian meal, the food was memorable. The ragu sauce of Sarah's bolognese was the single best tasting thing I remember in Europe. (Excepting Margo's home cooking of course. (Whew! That was close.))

Best Chocolate: Belgium. Cadbury's? Meh. Nestlé? Adequate. Toblerone? Zzzzzz. Give me rich, tasty Belgian. I also enjoy the varieties - nuts, crunches, fruits, rums.

No comments: