Sunday 16 October 2011

Exploring by Bike

Today I took two bike trips exploring some of the nearby Tri-Cities area. It was a fine, sunny fall day, a great day to get out.

My morning trip was a bit of an expedition to find a possible bike commute route to the nearest SkyTrain station. I knew of a nearby bike route from Moray Street that went uphill where I could connect to a north-south street to take me close to the station.

After climbing uphill for some ways I noticed a commemorative sign saying that this was where Rick Hansen pushed his wheelchair on the last day of his famous Man In Motion tour. It said the Thermal Drive ascent was one of the steepest he'd encountered in his tour around the world. That's great, I thought, wherever this Thermal Drive is. It turns out I was less than halfway to the top, and Moral becomes Thermal. So, definitely not a feasible bike commute route.

While I was up there I toured Como Lake. More a pond, really, but it's impressive to see a watershed that high up.


I made my way back using a different route, taking in more of the Port Moody waterfront.

In the afternoon Sarah wanted to go on a bike ride with me, so we looked at a map and picked a route taking us to nearby parkland. It turns out that parkland hides the Coquitlam River. We found a pedestrian bridge.



On the way back we also took in Lafarge Lake, another small pond, man-made I'd guess, but a nice view.


No comments: