Sunday 30 May 2010

iChump

Yes, I did it. Like millions of other lemmings, I spent many hundreds to get a device I have no need for, because it is bloody cool. I got an iPad, rightfully described as "the world's most expensive rectangle", but a pretty magical rectangle nonetheless.

I'd been pretty good. It's been at least three years since I bought any gadgetry. I've sat out the iPhone revolution, though I've been very intrigued by the touch interface. But things are getting interesting with tablets, and I can imagine the features of what I really want: a high-def screen (at least 1080p) for a good reading experience, but maybe 5 inches for portability; a video camera for conferencing; the Android OS for openness. This will undoubtedly happen in the next year or two.

But I just couldn't wait. I've been dying to get immersed in the touch experience for years, and Apple does experience better than anyone.

I had buyer's remorse before I opened the box. Even as I was buying it. Because there is no way to justify this purchase.

But it is pretty amazing. It's like a little window that can show you anything you want to see, and you just pick it up and put it where you will. I love that it comes on and off instantly. And I love that it has no moving parts (if you overlook the few little buttons and the little speaker).

I hardly want to turn it off. And even after a day I'm noticing some changes. I can easily fill any spare time. I can look something up in seconds; it really fulfills that ancient promise of "information at your fingertips". But reading a book seems really hi-def now; I caught myself marveling at the detail of the lettering of a library book this morning.

No comments: