Friday 7 May 2010

Day Off

With the womenfolk out of town this week, I took today off to make a long weekend. I wasn't sure what all I would do (I'm still figuring out what to do with the remaining two days) but I sure had a good day for it: almost perfectly blue skies, which hasn't happened much lately. Maybe not since last fall? On a day like this, you just can't take a bad picture in Vancouver. You could point a camera at some dog poo on the sidewalk, and later, looking at the pictures, you'd go, Wow, that's some nice looking dog poo.

I started my day getting an omelet on Commercial Drive, because on a weekend, those places are always full and I'm too impatient to wait. After that, I made things up. I took the SeaBus to North Vancouver, then took the bus to the Grouse Mountain base. I'd wanted to take the trail uphill, but it was closed, and I didn't want to pay $40 for a gondola ride up and back. I headed back to the waterfront and walked up and down Lonsdale for a while. Then I crossed the water back, hoping to get a drink at the top of the Empire Landmark Hotel on Robson and enjoy its view, but the restaurant wasn't open yet. Being close to Stanley Park, I walked around Lost Lagoon, heading back toward Denman, then headed to Gastown for ales and an early dinner (the Alibi Room wasn't open, so I revisited the Irish Heather).

These are some of the better shots.




No comments: