Friday 14 November 2008

Furniture!

Yesterday a truck pulled up behind our new house and I helped two guys unload dozens of boxes of IKEA flat pack furniture into our living room. Before opening a single box, I took a few pictures.


You see, Margo and I have never bought a lot of furniture before. In our Portland house, we just shared the furniture we'd each accumulated over our adult lives. We bought a crib and a dresser for Sarah, and a new mattress for us, but that was about it. The twin futon I bought right after college became Sarah's bed, for example.

Before moving overseas, we liquidated pretty much all our furniture, so here in Vancouver we were starting from scratch. There's a lot of stuff you need in a house, if you think about it. Like a toilet brush. Can you live in a house without a toilet brush? Probably not well.

Margo has been looking forward to this day for years. No more shipping boxes as end tables! She has spent days surfing online catalogs and making plans. One day I came home to see her rotating roomfuls of furniture with a 3D design tool she'd downloaded.

So we've gone from an empty to full house in about a week. Above are two sofas, chairs, stools, lots of bookshelves, desks, and end tables. An earlier run to IKEA got us lamps, linens, coat hangers, and curtain rods. Another delivery brought bed frames and futons for Sarah and I. And next week at the end of our Portland visit, we'll return with books, clothes, compact discs, a mattress, art, and dishes.

I've had a busy few days assembling furniture. Some things go fast, like the bookshelves; some things, like my dresser, take hours. Margo was around today to help. My hands are getting quite sore. I'm guessing we've got about two more days of assembly. But it's great having a home again.

No comments: