Monday 28 December 2009

Catching Up in Portland

We're in Portland, the second day of a holiday visit.

We left Vancouver early yesterday morning, waking up at 3 am to avoid a long wait at the border crossing. As a result, we had no slowdowns anywhere, breezing over the border, through Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia without any traffic congestion. We arrived at our friends' house mid-morning. Naps were had.

Today we took the girls ice skating at the Lloyd Center mall.





Then I took the MAX to downtown and caught up.

After being away, I mostly notice what's changed when I visit. I've noticed a lot of houses repainted in earth colours - greens and browns and oranges and some purples. I miss seeing so many character homes.

Walking around downtown, I reacquainted myself with things that make Portland Portland - like the bubblers (still running in the December chill) and the so-walkable small blocks - and lots of new things. Like how many of the rubbish bins have been replaced by solar-powered rubbish compactors. Two MAX lines running along the bus mall.

Two more surface parking lots have been repurposed. This former lot is now a new apartment tower with four highly-visible windmills at the top.



And with this former lot, the parking has moved underground, with a new park/square at surface level.



I visited my usual haunts, but splurged a little. The prices are considerably lower than what we pay in BC, and there's no sales tax also. I got a few software books at Powell's Technical bookstore, then a CD at Everyday Music, and the latest Word magazine at Rich's Cigars, a month before I'll see it in Chapters.

I'll probably have another chance to walk through downtown as we're here a few more days. I've also made plans with other mates for some brewpub dinners, and am looking forward to catching up with this year's holiday ales.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you guys. Have lots of fun and thank you for your love and gifts. Miss you already! brenda