Sunday 8 March 2009

Bike Routes

I rode to my office this afternoon. It took me just over an hour on the way back, and the way there was much longer. I tried two different routes. On the way in, much of it was on an urban trail, but some of it is on unpaved trails - pleasant on a sunny Sunday afternoon, but maybe not the best thing for a regular commute. The ride back included a long stretch next to a railway through an industrial area. There was some broken glass in the bike lane, something which may come and go, but is likely to be common along such a roadway. So there's no best route for me yet.

It's the hills that slow the trips down. These are serious hills! I don't think I've ever lived in such a hilly area. I can't go anywhere without a climb. And they're big ones. From our neighbourhood, we look down on some condo towers a dozen blocks away. So on any given route, I've probably got at least two hills that are like riding up the inside of a skyscraper. And living on a hill, I've always got that last climb on the way home.

I'm sure I'll be riding my bike to work regardless, but I wonder how often.

No comments: