Friday 31 October 2008

Losing Our Englishness

Last week I used the last of my Boots Men's Face Wash. Though I still have my Boots Shaving Gel, and my Fish "Born in Soho" Styling Gel. Plus Oral-B dental floss made in Ireland.

Sarah's English accent is almost completely gone. I sometimes wear my London dress shirts to the office, though there's no need to - I could as acceptably wear T-shirts.

We've also lost a bit of the English spelling I've become accustomed to. I still write labour and centre, but must now use realize and not realise. For some reason, I'm sad to give that up. Yet "z" is still pronounced "zed" here.

I'm relearning some words too. Instead of plaster, torch, and toilet, we use band-aid, flashlight, and washroom. I still use "mate" and "cheers" a lot, though. They're nice words.

And I'm re-adapting to the local pronunciation. Tomayto instead of tomahto; mobill instead of mobile.

I'm missing other European things. Last night we saw a film set in Europe and seeing narrow cobbled lanes made me a bit nostalgic for Medieval streets and ornate buildings.

No comments: