Friday 29 August 2008

Update from Margo

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note from me. We are still feeling rather unsettled, and with the jet lag on top of that I have been pretty depressed and headachy since we arrived. There is a significant piece of me that just does not want to go through all the uncertainty and chaos and loneliness that accompanies a move to another country. Having said that, Canadians are very, very welcoming and this is an amazing change from the norms of customer service in the UK (Lack of service being the usual.) Without exception, when anyone hears that we are newly arrived, we hear "Welcome to Canada!" and it seems sincere - so that has been nice. There also seems to be a willingness to sort out beaurocratic tangles, in comparison to the reverence for processes, no matter how inefficient, that I observed in the UK.

On the other hand, I had gotten used to various products being available and to different services being readily accessible and these are different here, and I find myself, quite unfairly, feeling rather cranky about it.

Food and products in Vancouver are really, really expensive. I think my perception of this is flavoured somewhat by having gotten used to trading in Pounds sterling, so everything seems twice as costly - but also, it's just a hell of a lot of money. I did a big shop, but really this was some staples and the week's perishables and it cost more than $500. I was astounded - I hadn't even been buying extravagantly as Mike and I are both trying to shed some excess poundage and attempting to stick to a diet of meat, veg and fruit, with just a little bit of whole grain and almost no rubbish at all. Three average serving sized pieces of (farmed - not even wild!) salmon filet at Safeway were more than $15.00. Needless to say, I am trying to find a more economical shopping routine.

In the meantime, Sarah needs school supplies and clothes and shoes, I needed a few things, we needed new phones, bikes, printer for the computer etc ... so today we just swept through the mall, grabbed the necessary items, took a deep breath, closed our eyes and swiped through the debit and credit cards. I have to say, the retail therapy cheered me immensely!

We've decided to rent a home for couple of years, until I can work full time, just to reduce our anxiety. Also, we will be better positioned in respect of having established credit when we apply for a mortgage then. Rents are about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of a mortgage and it looks like there is a good supply of houses in our preferred area and price range. We hope to be in a new place by November and I am looking forward to hanging our pictures, buying some houseplants and feeling settled for the first time in a long time. This flat is lovely but it is not ours and I am looking forward to making a home again.

Lots more to write about, but will need to sign off for now. I am missing all of my friends and family and hope we'll be able to visit soon.

Love,
Margo

2 comments:

LiisaP said...

Hi Margo....welcome back to the Northwest!! I am sure that the shock of uprooting and getting settled will disappear with some time and a little (well maybe a lot) of patience! I'm happy to hear that you've safely made it back across the pond! :) Keep the faith and things will fall into place, maybe not as fast as you wish! I've loved being able to keep up with you all and hope that we can connect if and when you get to Portland! All the best to you and yours!! :)
Liisa

Unknown said...

Margo! We miss you too! Moving is stressful and depressing and then when you don't even have a place of your own, it is more unsettling! Let me know when you are coming to SoCal.
Good luck with feeling settled and thank goodness for retail therapy!
Amy Jo